Teacher Training and Registration

Working in Australia

To undertake employment in Australian schools and centres your qualifications must be approved by the relevant regulators; the state regulatory authorities for teacher registration and also by ACECQA for those working in early childhood (ages 0-6). Please check with your chosen training provider that your current qualifications and your Montessori course will enable you to work in Australia. If your Montessori qualifications are from overseas, you can apply directly to the regulators for assessment.

International Employment

Please note that international recognition of ANY of these courses is not guaranteed. You would need to seek further advice from the country that you are applying to, which we are happy to assist you with.

Montessori Training


These are the organisations offering Montessori training in Australia.

SMTC is a training centre in Australia authorised to deliver Association Montessori Internationale (AMI) Montessori courses. The Association Montessori Internationale accredits training centres throughout the world which offer AMI Diploma courses that are internationally recognised for their high standard and authenticity.

The Montessori Institute offers quality, nationally accredited, AITSL and ACECQA recognised Montessori training courses, as well as education, professional support and information pertaining to the Montessori approach through partnership with schools, childcare centres and the wider community. Their courses are delivered via a flexible blend of external online study and intensive block workshops, Australia wide.

Building Futures Education (BFE) opened its doors ten years ago. This was a natural progression after the success of their three childcare centres and wanting to keep high standards of quality trained staff within the education sector. The Training College offers a unique classroom learning experience, providing students with a nationally recognised Diploma of Early Education and CareDiploma of Montessori Early Childhood Education and Certificate III in Early Education and Care.

Course Authorities

If you are looking to gain a teaching qualification, AITSL have a list of accredited Initial Teacher Education (ITE) programs on their website.

AITSL does not register teachers, so you will have to contact your local regulatory authority regarding registration (details below). However AITSL can help you understand what registration is, why it’s important, and give you useful tools and resources to help you when registering with your local regulatory authority.

ACECQA undertakes the assessment and approval of individual and organisation qualifications.

Their qualifications checker allows you to check whether your qualifications are recognised under the NQF. It will guide you through a series of questions to confirm if you are a qualified educator and also tell you what evidence you can show to demonstrate you are qualified.

Teacher Registration

You will need to register with the local state/territory regulatory authorities if you work, or intend to work, in any school or children’s education and care service as an Early Childhood Teacher (ECT), Primary Teacher, or Secondary Teacher. Click through to find out more information about registering in your local jurisdiction.